Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Graffiti in Wilderness


The Narrows at Fletcher Canyon, Mt Charleston Wilderness
I suppose this act of selfishness is a sign of times, but it should also serve as a rallying cry for all of us who care. We need to get together and do something. I know what you're thinking let's go throttle the folks who did this uncaring act of stupidity. Well that did cross my mind (more than once), but even though that might make us feel a little better it would not solve the problem. We need to get the word out about Wilderness, we need to support groups that do Wilderness outreach and education. We need to let the world know that we care and we are not willing to let this happen to the most sacred of places, Wilderness. I'm going to see what I can do today to get some volunteers to erase this trace on the landscape. I know with enough good folks and plenty of wire brushes we can make this go away, but what are we going to do the fix the bigger problem?... Let us not be the generation that did not make a stand and let the Wild Places fade away to be just memory.